The first major update for February is upon us with League of Legends’ 5.3 update hitting last Tuesday. As with every month, we ran down the complete list of champions and where they stood in week one and it’s time for our first adjustments. We rate our champions between Bronze tier and “Nerf Tier” here at PowerLeveled, and with statistics and mathematics at our core, we’re not just throwing around ratings. Have a look below as we highlight the first major changes.
Click here to skip to the Nerf Tier
As of patch 5.3, here are the major changes that we’re looking at:
Sona is picking up a level 1 nerf with mana issues that should dissipate by level 3-4 when you grab your first tier two mana item. Riot sold this as a “bug”, but a change is a change. Ahri took a medium nerf with increased mana costs and 20% weakening of Fox Fire. Positioning got drilled on Ahri as well, which may well pull her right out of the top tier. Azir’s minions took a nerf this week as well, but given that he’s going to be able to last hit with his body better rather than focusing minions, not much will change for you this update.
Diana took a minor update this week with an increased rotation speed on Pale Cascade and a new display for her passive. While this could have a small impact on her burst it will only effect one-on-one fights away from minions, which won’t change her enough to notice unless you’re a roaming God. Fiddlesticks’ Drain took a range hit with the latest update, dropping from 700 to 650. He’s not going to be effected by this in ganks or much in the lane, this just allows players to get away in one-on-one fights with the last 1% of their life. Gnar picked up a straight 50-50 ratio of Gnar forms, with 15 seconds of “Mega” Gnar and 15 seconds of “tired” debuff. Gnar will be tired for two seconds more than previous, which will effect his late game team fights on an unnoticeable level.
Gragas is the first buffed champion on the list this week, with a base and maximum slow buff for his Barrel Roll (Q). This is mostly useful in escaping unless you go completely ignored in a team fight and shouldn’t impact his win percentages. Kassadin took a -10 damage hit on his Q all around, where we already put him in Silver tier last week. This won’t drop our ratings this week, but it’s something to be noted and comes as a surprise move by Riot. Katarina picked up a “buff” this week with reduced attack frames, meaning that she comes out of her attacks faster (by milliseconds.) She won’t hit harder, and she won’t right click faster, but her skills actually end their actions sooner with this change, meaning that you can effectively Shun-Po more often if you have the cool-downs.
Kennen had a fine buff this week as well for efficient players with the inclusion of an Electrical Surge change where it hits ALL enemies in Slicing Maelstrom. This could make the best players capable of Amumu-like stuns with Kennen – fast, and not in line with previous standards. Though Nidalee was noted, there’s just a tooltip change this week. Twisted Fate brought some map awareness with his Ultimate, but a simple auto-ping won’t change his rating this week either. Varus got a minor width buff for his ultimate, not helping most players and not changing his tier rating for anyone over Silver league. Zyra’s minions now display range changes, which also shouldn’t effect her tier, but may if awareness goes way up with her enemies – for now we’ll stay the same.
Any remaining changes we’re making this month are, as usual, reflective of win, kill-death and pick-ban ratios as of patch 5.2. These are important factors to take note of League-wide with each patch, and we’ll go over the adjustments again for 5.3 as 5.4 comes into effect.
As mentioned at the top, we’ve covered the intricate details as to the where and why we rate champions in Bronze Tier through Nerf last week, changes are bolded and explained below.
Down from Silver: None
- Top Lane: Soraka, Urgot
- Jungle: Garen, Yasuo
- Mid-Lane: Janna, Urgot, Soraka
- AD Carry: Urgot
- Support: Elise, Orianna, Shen, Poppy, Nidalee, Lissandra, Galio, Ashe, Yorick, Leblanc
Down from Gold: Kayle (Jungle)
Up to Silver: None
- Top Lane: Morgana, Zac, Shen, Diana, Gragas, Akali, Talon, Master Yi, Galio, Mordekaiser, Kassadin, Ryze, Vayne, Rammus, Alistar, Yasuo, Leblanc, Nunu, Elise
- Jungle: Kha’Zix, Diana, Fizz, Gragas, Nocturne, Kayle, Shyvana, Fiora, Yorick, Dr. Mundo, Elise, Zed, Malzahar, Leona, Shen, Darius, Evelynn, Riven, Tryndamere
- Mid-Lane: Veigar, Sejuani, Malphite, Tristana, Syndra, Lulu (AP), Kassadin, Jarvan IV, Fiora, Yasuo, Sona, Akali, Ryze, Kha’Zix, Kog’maw, Jayce, Fizz, Zilean, Master Yi, Ezreal (AP), Gragas, Riven, Cho’Gath, Fiddlesticks, Elise
- AD Carry: Quinn, Twisted Fate, Kennen, Twitch
- Support: Gragas, Maokai, Nautilus, Lux, Anivia, Veigar, Nunu, Volibear, Zilean, Kayle, Teemo, Lee Sin, Syndra, Gangplank
Down from Platinum: Tryndamere (Top), Sona (Support), Heimerdinger (Top), Fiora (Top), Tristana (ADC)
Up to Gold: Nunu (Jungle), Leblanc (Mid), Malphite (Support)
- Top Lane: Volibear, Darius, Cassiopeia, Warwick, Azir, Rengar, Olaf, Yorick, Xin Zhao, Poppy, Dr. Mundo, Karma, Shyvana, Kayle, Cho’gath, Garen, Lee Sin, Jayce, Lulu, Viktor, Kha’Zix, Maokai, Trundle, Aatrox, Udyr, Jax, Singed, Nidalee, Quinn, Vi, Tryndamere, Heimerdinger, Fiora
- Jungle: Cho’Gath, Poppy, Rammus, Pantheon, Rengar, Nunu, Warwick, Volibear, Olaf, Trundle, Gangplank, Udyr, Maokai, Master Yi, Jax, Zac, Nautilus, Lee Sin, Aatrox, Malphite, Xin Zhao, Nidalee, Shaco, Irelia, Karthus, Nasus,
- Mid-Lane: Pantheon, Zed, Lissandra, Orianna, Leblanc, Galio, Karma, Mordekaiser, Teemo Azir, Lux, Ziggs, Viktor, Diana, Morgana, Kayle, Vladimir, Nidalee (AP), Twisted Fate
- AD Carry: Kog’Maw, Varus, Vayne, Lucian, Tristana
- Support: Brand, Braum, Soraka, Lulu, Xerath, Vel’Koz, Fiddlesticks, Annie, Taric, Sona, Alistar, Malphite
Got Nerfed: Fiddlesticks (Jungle), Sivir (ADC)
Up to Platinum: Kennen (Mid), Ezreal (ADC)
- Top Lane: Wukong, Sion, Rumble, Rek’Sai, Renekton, Kennen, Lissandra, Gnar, Riven, Hecarim, Teemo, Nasus, Swain, Gangplank, Vladimir, Pantheon
- Jungle: Wukong, Skarner, Sion, Rek’Sai, Fiddlesticks, Hecarim, Amumu,
- Mid-Lane: Swain, Annie, Cassiopeia, Kennen, Malzahar, Vel’Koz, Talon, Anivia, Zyra, Wukong, Xerath, Brand, Karthus, Heimerdinger, Ahri
- AD Carry: Draven, Ashe, Corki, Caitlyn, Ezreal, Sivir, Kalista, Miss Fortune
- Support: Zyra, Thresh, Nami, Karma, Morgana
Up for a Nerf: Blitzcrank (Support)
- Top Lane Nerfs Incoming: Jarvan IV, Malphite, Irelia
- Jungle Nerfs Incoming: Jarvan IV, Sejuani, Vi
- Mid-Lane Nerfs Incoming: Katarina
- AD Carry Nerfs Incoming: Graves, Jinx
- Support Nerfs Incoming: Leona, Janna, Blitzcrank
Look forward to more Nerf Tier with the next League of Legends update exclusively on PowerLeveled – created for those interested in statistically supported and battle tested tier listings.