According to Microsoft Careers, we can look forward to an expanded and improved Xbox Avatar on Xbox One and Windows platforms soon.
In search of a few new Software Engineers in their home base at Redmond, Microsoft needs a new Senior Software Engineer and a “Software Engineer II – Avatar” specific employee for an overhaul on the Avatar project that has existed for over six years. With the only difference in each of these applications being the employees’ ability and experience with DirectX, OpenGL and coding in C++ [among others], this won’t be a large group project in the Xbox and Windows platforms, but it will reach out to both.
Here’s the full rundown of the official Microsoft application for employment:
Since their introduction six years ago, Xbox avatars have become the social identity for our gaming customers across Microsoft properties, making their way into Xbox 360, Xbox One, Xbox mobile apps, Windows, and into major and indie games. As we cross the threshold to a unified operating system and product experience across Microsoft, it is time to for Xbox avatars to also advance to the next level. Come with us, as we take Xbox avatars on their biggest adventure yet with higher fidelity and a bigger stage in new Xbox experiences. You will be part of the broader Xbox Experiences team, which owns the Xbox One Shell, and the Xbox experiences across console, desktop, slate, mobile, iOS, and Android. We are a team of innovative veterans that has played significant roles in launching Xbox, Xbox Live, Xbox 360, Xbox One, and Kinect. Come join us, and our wave of monthly releases, generating delight and praise from our customers.
At Xbox we’re looking for a senior graphics engineer that will work with us to grow the avatar platform across all of our platforms, leveraging the power of Xbox One, the far reach of Windows, and the intimacy of touch on mobile devices. You will own the rendering tech for the Avatar engine, working to ensure Avatars are not only gorgeous, but highly performant across a wide scale of devices.
– Develop, design, modify and optimize graphic and related rendering systems for the Avatar ecosystem
– Responsible for profiling as well as optimization of rendering, lighting, and shading components of the Avatar stack
– Work with designers, animators, artists, and other content creators on the implementation of new features
– Participate in code reviews
– Maintain high quality coding and validation standards throughout the development cycle
– 5+ years of professional experience coding in C++ and shading languages
– Expertise in a few of the following areas: shaders, animation, skinning, lighting, special effects, particle systems, art pipelines, tool development and graphics engine architecture
-Strong experience with DirectX, HLSL. OpenGL ES, GLSL experience would be advantageous
– Knowledge in related tools such as Photoshop, Maya, 3DS Max, Maya, etc.
– Understanding of GPU and CPU architectures and optimizations
– Strong graphics, mathematics, problem solving, and communication skills
– BS degree or equivalent experience
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, religion, national origin, marital status, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, or any other protected status.
If you’re interested in a new job with Microsoft, apply for the Senior level position here, and the “entry” level position here. For the rest of us, we look forward to seeing what’s coming from the Avatar system, which we can probably expect to see in 2016 or 2017, based on these postings.